They sustain us with their nutrition, heal us with their energy, awaken us with their sensual fragrances and picture-perfect elegance. This blog is a celebratory dance for the body and mind with plants: for the body there are how-tos for making oils, tinctures, teas, crafts, and snacks; for the mind there are cultural perspectives, mystical lore and scientific tidbits about the world of the Plant People. So, come foray in the green with me, and let's see what we find...

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Favorite Green Monster Smoothie

by Leslie Ann, fitness trainor
Source: http://laqfitness.com/my-favorite-green-monster-smoothie/



Don’t let all the spinach in this photo freak 
you out.  You seriously can’t even taste it!!!
I know I’m about a year behind on this food/fitness blog trend (the green smoothie), but what can I say?  The idea of kale, spinach, celery, cucumber, and other green things in my morning smoothie made me throw up a little.

Uh, most especially because I don’t typically HAVE a morning smoothie.  I prefer to EAT my meals, not drink them, thankyouverymuch.  They just keep me fuller longer and I find them more satisfying.

But, I must credit the crew at South Block Smoothie & Wrap Co. in Clarendon for turning me on to these green concoctions and making me a HUGE believer in their awesomeness.

My first foray in the green [haha, she said it!  --Elisa]  was with their junior sized “Green-a-Colada,” a combination of coconut milk, banana, coconut, mango, kale, and agave nectar (I modified it for less sugar/carbs by omitting the mango and agave).

At first I wasn’t so sure, but I quickly became a HUGE fan of this combo.  A few weeks later, the “Nutty Popeye” came out and I was DONE.  I loved it so much that I had to find a way to recreate it at home for when I couldn’t get to the smoothie shop.  I didn’t nail it exactly, but I think came pretty close.  :)

Combine all ingredients below in a blender, and blend until well-combined.

Press play, pour it, and GO!  SIMPLE, fast, and delish!



My Favorite Green Monster Smoothie:

1 c. Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
1/2 c. Chopped, Frozen Banana
1 Tbs. Natural Peanut Butter
1 Tbs. PB2 Powder
1 scoop Chocolate Whey Protein Powder
1-2 big handfuls of baby spinach

 ___________________________________________________


[for more delicious spinach smoothie recipes

click "Read more," below left]



Orange juice, sweet green grapes, a banana and a handful of spinach combine to make this the easiest (and possibly the tastiest) green smoothie I make. If you are new to green smoothies, this is an excellent place to start. This was the first green smoothie that I tried and I have loved it from the start.

This is my go-to green smoothie. My kids all love it and we would all happily drink this every single morning. This is easily the most frequently made smoothie in our home.

Favorite Green Smoothie

1 cup orange juice
1 large handful baby spinach leaves
1 cup green grapes, frozen
1 medium banana, frozen

Layer the ingredients into the blender in the order listed. Puree until completely smooth.

Makes (2) 10 ounce smoothies

Click here for printable recipe


Source: http://barefeetinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2011_08_01_archive.html
 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment