They sustain us with their nutrition, heal us with their energy, awaken us with their sensual fragrances and picture-perfect elegance. This blog is a celebratory dance for the body and mind with plants: for the body there are how-tos for making oils, tinctures, teas, crafts, and snacks; for the mind there are cultural perspectives, mystical lore and scientific tidbits about the world of the Plant People. So, come foray in the green with me, and let's see what we find...

Sunday, June 9, 2013

The Benefits of Tooth Powder


by Andrea


So, I’ve pretty much decided to abandon my quest for a “paste-like” alternative in part because I am thrilled with our newest concoction…tooth powder.

This is not just your usual baking soda.  By the way, I love occasionally brushing my teeth with straight baking soda, but I do worry about it’s abrasive nature.

Lately I’ve been researching the benefits of bentonite clay, and wow…I love all that I’m learning.  Rich in vital minerals that are very beneficial for our teeth and gums –like calcium and potassium, bentonite clay is a fantastic non-toxic, and not to mention very affordable, product that has become my new favorite for brushing my teeth because…


[continued - click "Read more," below left]



  • it has been used for hundreds and hundreds of years to detoxify the body. In fact, when bentonite clay is consumed, it has the ability to absorb and eliminate toxins.
  • when it’s used in tooth powder recipes, bentonite clay is a very mild abrasive that gently scrubs and beautifully polishes our teeth.
  • I think the high mineral content of the clay has the ability to mineralize the teeth and heal decay.


A Recipe for Cinnamon and 
Clove Herbal Tooth Powder

The Ingredients
-4 parts bentonite clay
-1 part baking soda
-1/2 part myrrh gum powder
-1/2 part ground cloves
-1/2 part ground stevia
-essential oils of cloves and cinnamon

Directions
1. Add all ingredients to a mason jar. Tightly close the lid and shake jar until well combined.
2. To use, apply a small amount of tooth powder to your tooth brush with a spoon and brush as you normally would.

Notes
-This tooth powder is good enough to eat! And it’s safe for the whole family.
-Myrrh gum powder contains highly antiseptic properties and is excellent for overall oral health.
-For a minty variation substitute peppermint leaf powder for the ground cloves and peppermint essential oils for the essential oils of cloves and cinnamon

-Follow this recipe for homemade mouthwash.
-I purchase the ingredients for this recipe from Mountain Rose Herbs, The Bulk Herb Store, or a local health food store.


Source: http://frugallysustainable.com/2012/03/the-benefits-of-brushing-with-tooth-powder-and-a-make-your-own-recipe/




 .

No comments:

Post a Comment